Chronology: 1922 – Wassily Kandinsky comes to Bauhaus
B A U H A U S
- Itten resigns as head of the metal and furniture workshop.
- New Bauhaus signet by Oskar Schlemmer.
- Theo van Doesburg launches his De Stijl course in Weimar, attracting a group of Bauhaus masters and students.
- Institution of the Bauhaus housing cooperative, designed to forge a single community of everyone at the Bauhaus. Exhibition of works by Bauhaus apprentices and journeymen.
- Inauguration of the monument to the victims of the march 1920 putsch at Weimar memorial cemetery.
- Wassily Kandinsky appointed. He heads the mural-painting workshop and begins his colour design classes. The government of thuringia calls for the work of the Bauhaus to be presented at an exhibition of achievement. Walter Gropius directs all energies to this event.
- Architecture exhibition at the Bauhaus, with works by Walter Gropius und Adolf Meyer (and architecture office). Gropius’s architecture office enters the Chicago Tribune competition. Their design marks a break with the expressionist phase and wins acclaim from the proponents of "Neues Bauen", who see it as a transition to objectivity (adolf Behne).
- The Bauhaus masters display their works at the 1st thuringian exhibition of art in Weimar.
- Oskar Schlemmer’s "Triadic Ballet" is premiered in Stuttgart. the redesigned municipal theatre opens in Jena. Congress of the constructivist international in Weimar (Theo van Doesburg, Max Burchartz, László Moholy-Nagy et al.).
- Works by Klee, Kandinsky and Feininger are installed in several rooms at the Schlossmuseum in Weimar.
- A group of Bauhaus students join together to form kuri (= german acronym for constructive, utilitarian, rational and international).
P O L I T I C S
- 1 Dollar = 186.75 Marks.
- Treaty of Rapallo between Soviet Russia and Germany (waiving of reparations, institution of normal diplomatic and trade relations). Foreign minister Walter Rathenau is assassinated by members of the right-wing volunteer corps. NSDAP banned in Prussia, Saxony, Thuringia and elsewhere.
- 1 Dollar = 1,298.37 Marks.
- 1 Dollar = 7,500 Marks.
S C I E N C E , T E C H N O L O G Y A N D A R T S
- Science and technology: Niels Bohr explains the periodic system of the elements, vitamin e discovered.
- Literature: "Drums in the Night" by Bertolt Brecht, "Ulysses" by James Joyce.
- Theatre and music: Arnold Schönberg develops atonal music, Louis Armstrong makes his first recordings in Chicago.
- Film: "Nosferatu" by Friedrich Wilhelm Murnau, "Cops" by Buster Keaton, "Dr. Mabuse" by Fritz Lang.
- Art: first monumental mural in mexico, Man Ray invents the Rayograph, "The Art of the Insane" by Hans Prinzhorn.
- Architecture: Ludwig Mies van der Rohe designs a Berlin office block in reinforced concrete, Le Corbusier’s "Une Ville Contemporaine" (project), paris.