Chronology: 1929 – Photography class is founded
B A U H A U S
- an exhibition of young bauhaus painters tours braunschweig, krefeld, halle an der saale, erfurt and berlin.
- kandinsky exhibition in paris.
- festival of metal.
- the bauhaus dessau is represented at the leipzig spring fair.
- the bauhaus theatre gives guest performances in berlin, breslau, frankfurt am main, stuttgart and basle.
- bauhaus touring exhibition at the basle museum of trades and crafts (then in breslau, mannheim, zurich and essen). anton brenner runs a construction studio (until summer 1930). walter peterhans is appointed head of the new photography workshop.
- topping-out ceremony for the german labor unions school in bernau (near berlin). built by hannes meyer and hans wittwer, the school drew on the work of the building department and all workshops at the bauhaus dessau. otto neurath of vienna delivers a paper on visual statistics and the present day. fresco by oskar schlemmer at the folkwang museum in essen. the mayor of dessau obtains a slim majority to extend the masters contracts for another five years.
- stand by junkers & co (design by joost schmidt) at the gas and water exhibition in berlin.
- the metal, furniture and mural-painting workshops are merged to form the interior decoration department headed by alfred arndt.
- bauhaus people’s flat at an exhibition in the grassi museum, leipzig.
- farewell party for oskar schlemmer, who takes up a post in breslau. no successor found to continue the bauhaus theatre. ludwig hilberseimer (urban planning) becomes a lecturer. the students become politically more extreme, the kpd (communist party) members among them joining together to form kostufra (german acronym for communist students group). 32,000 reichsmark in license revenues are paid out to the students through the bauhaus ltd.
P O L I T I C S
- 22.8 million unemployed in Germany.
- Bloody May: the Berlin chief of police (SPD) attempts to enforce a ban on demonstrations on the 1st May by force of arms (33 dead).
- France puts forward the idea of a United States of Europe.
- French government overthrown. Petition for a referendum in Germany against the Young plan (reparations of 34.5 billion Goldmark). Black friday on the New York stock exchange unleashes the great depression.
- The Reichstag rejects the Young plan bill.
S C I E N C E , T E C H N O L O G Y A N D A R T S
- Science and technology: 1st international congress on the history of science in Paris, Edwin P. Hubble develops the idea of the expanding universe, Albert Einstein’s first version of his unified-field theory, tv broadcast in Berlin.
- Literature: Nobelprize awarded to Thomas Mann, "The philosophy of symbolic forms" by Ernst Cassirer, "Berlin Alexanderplatz" by Alfred Döblin, "Deutschland, Deutschland über alles" by Kurt Tucholsky and John Heartfield, "All quiet on the western front" by Erich Maria Remarque.
- Theatre and music: "Cyankali" by Friedrich Wolf, "Political Theatre" by Erwin Piscator
- Film: "An Andalusian dog" by Luis Buñuel and Salvador Dalí, first German talkies
- Art: film and photo exhibition in Stuttgart, founding of the New York Museum of Modern Art, opening of the new building of the Folkwang Museum in Essen.
- Architecture: German pavilion by Ludwig Mies van der Rohe at the Barcelona World Exposition, 2nd meeting of CIAM, "The flat for the subsistence level" in Frankfurt am Main, exhibition "Home and Workroom" by the "Werkbund" in Breslau.