The Second-Largest Bauhaus Collection Worldwide
The collection of the Bauhaus Dessau Foundation, which comprises 40,000 objects, is the second-largest Bauhaus collection worldwide after that of the Bauhaus-Archiv / Museum für Gestaltung in Berlin. It contains objects and documents pertaining to the history of the Bauhaus from 1919 to 1933, especially items from the workshops of the Bauhaus Dessau from 1926 to 1932. In addition, the collection accumulates objects related to the reception history of the institution, especially the socialist-orientated era from 1945 to 1989, and objects and documents relevant to the prehistory of the Bauhaus and parallel modern movements.
The collection was established in the newly renovated Bauhaus building in 1976 following the foundation of the Wissenschaftlich-Kulturelle Zentrum (WKZ). The aim was to set up a nationally-subsidised museum-like institution with an integrated collection. The first exhibits were sourced on the East German art market, acquired by the city of Dessau and transferred to the WKZ. Added to these were direct acquisitions from private owners, usually former Bauhauslers, including furniture by Marcel Breuer and Martin Decker.
Unfortunately the collection and archive is closed until further notice, in preparation for the Bauhaus Museum Dessau. If you have any questions, please contact us via email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The collection of the Bauhaus Dessau Foundation strengthen their photographic section with …