Friends of the Bauhaus – Enthusiasts for the Bauhaus
The first Friends of the Bauhaus society was established in 1924. Its founder members included Peter Behrens, Marc Chagall, Albert Einstein, Oskar Kokoschka and Arnold Schönberg. These leading artists and scientists of the twenties demonstrated with their initiative the importance of the Bauhaus experiment for the cultural life of the Weimar Republic and have helped to keep alive the pioneering results of this experiment to the present day.
Founded in 1994, the Bauhaus Dessau Foundation today is an institution active on an international and interdisciplinary scale which is again making major contributions to urban planning, architecture, art and design issues. It also upholds the legacy of the Bauhaus from 1919 to 1933. We would be pleased if you support this work by joining the new Friends of the Bauhaus. The Bauhaus Kolleg has been holding an experimental and innovative range of courses in a historic setting since 1999. The Foundation's work also includes design projects from the fine arts to the development of urban planning strategies.
The biennial Bauhaus Award is intended to support the ideas of young architects, artists and scientists. One of the foremost challenges is to renovate the Bauhaus building in accordance with the principles of monument preservation and in keeping with its status as a gem of modern architecture and a property on UNESCO World Heritage List and to give it an appropriate interior decor. The study of architecture and modern design and the collection of object and documents from the history of the Bauhaus are other fields in which the Friends of the Bauhaus support the Bauhaus Dessau Foundation.
But joining the FRIENDS OF THE BAUHAUS also brings benefits to you personally:
- free admission for two to all Bauhaus exhibitions (for parents and children in the case of family members)
- 10% discount on admission to events on the Bauhaus stage
- 10% discount on publications issued by the Bauhaus Dessau Foundation
- regular information free of charge on the activities of the Bauhaus Dessau Foundation
- a chance to join in special events, e.g. excursions, organized exclusively for Friends of the Bauhaus
- supporting members also receive an annual memento and are invited to a gala dinner held in conjunction with the general meeting.
For more information please contact us or visit the site