The art of housekeeping and budgeting in the 21st century
How can we live in a healthy and economical way in the future?
- 4 May to 9 August 2015 on the grounds of the Masters’ Houses
- Including ten international artistic positions on housekeeping and budgeting in the 21st century, summer night’s party, current topical research, trade fair history, international summit on domestic affairs and round-table discussions
Held on the grounds of the Masters’ Houses, the Haushaltsmesse 2015 will produce and present international artistic and design-based positions on housekeeping and budgeting in the 21st century. In summer 2015, the houses once designed by Walter Gropius for the Bauhaus masters – seen in the 1920s as showcases for the modern way of living and housekeeping and now UNESCO World Heritage sites – will thereby serve as a point of departure for the investigation of contemporary housekeeping and budgeting issues. How can we live in a healthy and economical way – now, and in the future? How do we manage individual and collective resources? Which new housekeeping, budgeting and economic strategies are required, given the prevailing situations of conflict in the 21st century?
Unlike the trade fairs and large-scale exhibitions of the modernist era, which publicly addressed household issues as early as the 1920s, the Haushaltsmesse on the grounds of the Masters’ Houses should not be regarded as an exhibition of individual objects. Here, the household is exhibited – or, rather, addressed – as a “modus operandi”: it is less about the presentation of technologies and objects in the household than about the practice of housekeeping. The contributions to the Haushaltsmesse come about as a result of experimental research projects and artistic and design-based engagement. In the scope of round-table discussions and symposiums, visitors to the Haushaltsmesse can contribute their own ideas in exchange with international experts from a wide range of disciplines.
- 4 May to 9 August 2015: Haushaltsmesse on the grounds of the Masters’ Houses, Ebertallee 59, 06846 Dessau-Roßlau, open daily from 10am to 5pm.
From 4 May to 11 June: Work-in-Progress phase with the artists at work on location. The complete Haushaltsmesse will be on show from 12 June.
More on the locations and contributions of the Haushaltsmesse
- 12 to 14 June: Inauguration of the Haushaltsmesse with opening party and symposium on “The urban cultures of housekeeping and budget management” and a Sunday matinee. More
- Every Thursday evening from 18 June to 30 July 2015: Round-table discussion with artists and curators on a range of subjects, located on the grounds of the Masters’ Houses (always at 6 p.m.) More
- 28 June 2015: In the course of the 20th Anniversary of the „Day of Architecture“ the curator Regina Bittner guides through the Haushaltsmesse starting at 11am
- 11 July 2015: Live rightly at the urban Garden Kingdom. Walk with the walking scientist and the project Urban Farm Dessau at 3pm
- 7 to 9 August 2015 – International summit on domestic affairs, “The world. One household”. More
Regina Bittner, Elke Krasny, tel. 0340-6508-337,
- Project management:
- Exhibition graphics:
Sponsored by the German Federal Cultural Foundation.