The Bauhaus Building – history of use

September 1925 Construction begins in Dessau

21st March 1926 Topping-out ceremony

4th December 1926 Festive inauguration

April 1928 Walter Gropius officially resigns as director; Hannes Meyer is appointed his successor

August 1930 Hannes Meyer is dismissed; Ludwig Mies van der Rohe becomes the new director

21st January 1932 The NSDAP's motion to demolish the building is rejected

1st October 1932 The Bauhaus in Dessau is shut down. Mies van der Rohe continues running it as a private institution in Berlin

1933–45 The building is used by a state school for women, a school for training National Socialist district leaders, the Junkers factory, the Building Committee of Albert Speer and other institutions

1936–37 Housing is built in the area around the Bauhaus. The architect Carl Fieger's plans for developing the area between the train station and the Bauhaus building are rejected

7th March 1945 Part of the building burns down after a heavy air-raid on Dessau

1946 Attempt to revive the Bauhaus in Dessau as a "Hochschule für Gestaltung" (School of design). Fails due to political opposition in 1947

1946–48 The façade of the workshop wing is patched provisionally by building a brick wall with wooden-frame barrack windows

1960–61 The temporary brick wall on the workshop wing is removed

1963 Plans are developed for the reconstruction of the Bauhaus Building

1964 Included into the List of Monuments for the District of Halle

1965 Renovation of the façade of the workshop wing and the stairwell window; reconstruction of individual rooms

1974 The Bauhaus Building is added to the GDR's List of Significant Monuments

1976 Restoration is realised in strict observance of preservation measures for historic buildings and monuments

4th December 1976 Official re-inauguration of the Bauhaus Building on the 50th anniversary of the Bauhaus's opening in Dessau

As of 1977 Several rooms are assigned to the Academic Cultural Centre (WKZ). A collection on the history of the Bauhaus is founded. Exhibitions are held and cultural events presented in the Bauhaus theatre

1st April 1984 The Educational Centre Bauhaus Dessau takes up its activities

4th December 1986 Re-opening of the Bauhaus as the Centre for Design, an official state celebration of the 60th anniversary of the Bauhaus's opening in Dessau

1989 During the 2nd Walter Gropius Seminar, the key idea for the "Industrial Garden Realm" is developed

1994 The Bauhaus Dessau is turned into a public foundation with three departments: the Workshop, the Collection and the Academy. The Foundation's objectives: to preserve, transmit and study the legacy of the historic Bauhaus, as well as to contribute to solving the problems involved in designing today's environment

5th December 1996 The Bauhaus is included on the UNESCO World Culture and Nature Heritage List

1999 Bauhaus Kolleg is founded