by Carl Fieger (1929–30)
The city of Dessau, together with the brewery Schultheiss-Patzenhofer, commissioned the construction of the Kornhaus restaurant in 1929. The building was to be built on the bank of the Elbe river near the steamship dock. The name commemorates a historic granary that stood here until the 1870s.
The commission was awarded to a draughtsman working in Walter Gropius’s office. Although Carl Fieger did not win the initial competition his proposal was accepted, most likely for financial reasons.
The Kornhaus was built using a mix of construction techniques with brickwork walls and a reinforced concrete frame. The individual cubic corpora are grouped around the kitchen and the catering block. The upper floor included a dance hall and a restaurant area from which one reached the banks of the Elbe. The front, semi-circular building in the west was originally conceived as an open balcony, but in mid-construction, it was closed in with glass. The basement floor featured a bar with a separate entrance.
Despite several refurbishments, many of the Kornhaus’s original features are still preserved. Renovated in 1996, the building is today open to the public once again – a historically resonant meeting place in one of Dessau’s most attractive places.