“Building means designing life processes. The organism of a house arises from the sequence of processes that take place in it. In a residential house, it is the functions of living, sleeping, bathing, cooking, eating that inevitably shape the overall house structure.“
“Many things that appear to be luxury today will be the norm the day after tomorrow.”
The Masters’ Houses, commissioned by the city of Dessau, were built in 1925/26 in a pine grove not far from the Bauhaus Building. Three identical semi-detached houses and one detached house were to be built – according to Walter Gropius’ ideas – following a modular principle with industrially prefabricated parts. The architect intended to implement the principles of rational building, visible in the architecture and in the building process. However, due to the limited technical possibilities at that time, this could only be partially implemented. Built on stamped concrete foundations, the shell of the houses was constructed with Jurko bricks, which came in a size that could easily be handled by a single worker at the construction site.
Cube-shaped bodies of varying heights, pushed into one another, give the houses their shape. One half of the semi-detached house, turned at an angle of 90 degrees, has a third floor with two rooms. Glass-fronted studios facing the street and vertical glass strips placed along the stairways bring light into the building and face towards the pine grove. The houses are painted white, and have large terraces and balconies, extending the living space towards the outside. The window soffits, the undersides of the balconies, and the downpipes are accentuated with colour.